As alternative power sources have become more and more available to the average consumer, it can be easy to see why interest has grown in using them to replace classic power options. Solar panels and windmills naturally generate power using either the power of the sun or wind. These are not only Earth-friendly power options, but can be economical as well. These options were often considered as options for remote areas without easy access to local power, but have become more affordable and accessible and are being used widely in areas with easy access to other power options.
Choosing a gate operator to help secure your property can be a challenge, but it can still be easy to keep the cost low when you’re aware of your array of options. Many gate operator manufacturers have the option of AC power, DC power, or both AC power with DC power battery backup units. Having a professional out to look at your site and help you figure out your options may be the best way to determine what power source would be best for you.
If you know that you have access to DC power or AC power, then your power source decision should come down to a few more questions.
- Where are you getting power from?
- How far away is the power source?
- How do you get the power to the gate?
- Does the power need to come over head, underground?
- What is the cost?
Even though it may seem like it would be easier to just put up a solar panel and a windmill rather than to hard wire your power from the grid, the decision to use alternative power also comes with questions.
- How many times are you going to be cycling your gate per day?
- Do you have enough wind in a day to keep the batteries charged?
- Do you have enough hours of direct sunlight to charge the batteries?
- How big of batteries do you need to keep your gate operating?
- Is there space and cabinet for larger batteries if needed?
- How often do you need to replace the batteries and the cost of the batteries?
The list can go on and on depending on the climate you may live in. Before you decide on what power source you should use to power your automated gate, you may want to look over these questions and weigh your options. Other factors that play a role in this is your region. Sun light hours and wind averages can be found online for your region, if you are looking into using the renewable resources.